Due to the increasing complexity of structures and the respective use of accompanying floor plans and geometry, it is vital to generate exact three-dimensional engineering models to help better analyse the flow of forces and potential structural deformation.
The consideration of an all-inclusive system in relation to different disciplines is a daily must for the processing of our projects.
This allows us to be in constant control of all parameters and provides for a more efficient and economical structure design.
A documented survey of the current condition of a building, taking into account all components relevant to its - stability. Engineering findings primarily address the following construction components and seek to describe their various states:
- Foundations (selective excavations in adequate quantity, foundation embedment)
- Masonry (mortar/grout assessment an accredited testing authority)
- Mid-walls – chimney groups – chimney masonry on the top floor (in respect to the vertical load transfer and taking into account chimneys, chimney groups, fireplace warping /-risks, smoke chambers and doorways)
- Construction-bracing and/or reinforcement (partition walls, substitutions, closures)
- Cross-sectional weaknesses (e.g. due to wiring, installations, etc.)
- Ceilings (condition analysis, construction)
- Roof trusses and cornices (only those remaining unchanged)
The engineering findings show a schematically-constructive representation and/or description of the current building condition (particularly in terms of the materials used) as well as a summary expert-assessment as to whether the building is in a serviceable state, and whether the relevant components (beams, walls, supports) are safe to support the structure in question.
Capacity-Verification of the Inventory Structure
We prepare a capacity verification to accompany the structural engineering report / building (statical calculation) application in order to determine whether, an additional structural burden, such as with a roof conversion, can cause deterioration in the safety level of the weakest building component.
- 3-D modeling of the house with a finite element-programme, once in its original state and again with planned changes.
- Safety level verification through anlaysis of transverse wall load capacity these represent the absolut lowest-limit of structural sustainability. Here, our work is largely dependent on the floor plan geometry (terraced house, semi- or detached house, corner building, courtyard house etc.)
Through risk-analysis, we are able to identify the risks/ hazard scenarios of a structure and access failure risks.
This is based on the so-called, "differentiation of reliability“ measures, defined in accordance with the EN (European Committee for Standardization) 1990, paragraph number 126.96.36.199, as a (national) economic optimisation measure of implanted resources in consideration of damage losses and construction costs.
This classification is important in order to make use of reinforcement measures and to receive the required advice from a qualified structural engineer.
Risk-analysis applies both qualitative and quantitative considerations, where one determines a “certain reasonable risk” as acceptable and adopts the proper safeguards.
Assessment of Earthquake Effects
We value the seismic effects on structures according to the accompanying category parameters (residential, public building), seismicity, soil class, height and dimensions of the respective building.
From Construction Planning to Permit Approval
We develop everything from structural solutions to constructural design with graphic representations, and we accompany you right up to the building permits.
- Static analysis and the design of structural elements, foundations, and more alongside the required load installations and specifications.
- Structural analysis and the design of structural elements and foundations etc., along with the required load installations and specifications.
- Analysis and clarification of framework conditions, in consideration of stability, usability, and efficiency.
- Help developing a planning concept by analysing potential solutions for a structure. Clarification and specification of the necessary requirements for materials, designs, and accompanying manufacturing processes, etc. Assistance in property description, cost calculation, and material planning.
- Assistiance in negotiatiing with authorities and other specialists involved in permit grants, all the way to building authority approval (including adaption of the design concept).
Implementation Planning/ Detailed Design
During the planning stages, we work with the results of all previous services in compliance with integrated sector planning and drafting of the corresponding plans and documents.
- Detailed static calculation breakdown of load-bearing components; the production of formwork drawings.
- Graphic representation of constructions with installation instructions (e.g. reinforcement drawings, steel construction plans); setting up any additional detailed steel or parts lists and steel quantity determinations.
- Generating work instructions (e.g. pre-stressing procedures for pre-stressed concrete strucutres).
Test Statics and Monitoring according to OIB (Austrian Institute of construction engineering) RL 1
During the planning, calculation, and evaluation of the support structures of a building, which in the event of damage, can have serious consequences for human life as well as social and environmental repurcussions we carry out independent and authorised third party structural-specific surveillances. Tis is especially true for:
- Buildings which serve important and vital infrastructure functions (e.g. hospitals, power plants, telecommunications equipment)
- Buildings with important social functions (e.g. kindergartens, schools)
- Buildings with a capacity of more than 1,000 people (e.g. meeting rooms, shopping malls, sports stadiums)
We advise on and calculate all things related to glass building materials, so that the translucency of components goes hand in hand with safe load transfer. Intensive collaboration between consultants, operators an the industry is necessary from the beginning.
- Specialised support during the planning and implementation of point-fixed, vertical, horizontal, glued or bended glass constructions, as well as single and double glazing.
- Assistance in obtaining permits, in particular for non-standardised components; carrying out practiccal tests.